Research & Development
C-Therm Instruments has been an important contributor to the field of thermal research. Through the development of the modified transient plane source method and subsequent enhancements to this technology, C-Therm has gained a worldwide reputation for innovation in this field – including the distinction of receiving the international R&D Top 100 Award.
C-Therm offers researchers the opportunity to accelerate their R&D with rapid, non-destructive thermal testing systems like the TCi™. By confirming a correlation between thermal effusivity and other quality criteria, C-Therm are also playing a fundamental research role in other sectors, including the pharmaceutical industry.
For a comparison of the C-Therm modified transient plane source method to other thermal conductivity testing technologies, click here.
Key Benefits for R&D
- Rapid testing – accelerates the research process with accurate results for thermal conductivity, effusivity and other characteristics in seconds
- Thermal conductivity range of 0.033 to 1.15 W/m•K – covers a broad range of materials from foams, plastics and glasses into non-metallic ceramics
- Tests solids, pastes, powders and liquids – the modified transient plane source method developed by C-Therm allows for easy testing of materials in virtually any form
- Reliability – the C-Therm ISO-thermal chamber ensures accurate, easily reproduced testing at a stable, ambient sample temperature
- Minimal sample preparation – unlike other methods, there is no meticulous sample preparation required, and testing requires access to only one side of the sample
- Small testing surface area – the minimal surface area requirements of the technology allows expensive samples to tested at a fraction of the cost of other methods that require larger samples
- No maximum sample size – the external sensor of the TCi™ permits testing of samples with no restrictions on size or thickness
- Non-destructive testing process – C-Therm technology does not alter the material being tested, allowing the same sample to be used repeatedly
- ASTM standard – the TCi™ uses a fully automated ASTM-C19-98 characterized calibration standard, and results have been correlated to ASTM C177 and show strong agreement. To review a Technical Paper on this specific topic, click here and type "ASTM" into the KEYWORD field.
- User-friendly testing and reporting – in addition to fully automated calibration and testing, the C-Therm TCi™ software seamlessly gathers data, performs sophisticated analyses, and generates sophisticated reports, complete with charts and data tables.